Lecturer, Chair of Department, Performing Arts, Film, Media & Economic Studies School of Education, Arts & Social Sciences, KCA Univesity
- Ph.D. in Theatre Arts – Kenyatta University, School of Visual and Performing Arts.
, Research on ‘Use of Dramatherapy in unlocking voices of Female Genital Mutilation Survivors.’
- MA Gender & Development Studies, University of Nairobi.
Research Project on ‘Drama therapy as a form of Group counseling among drug addicts/abusers; Case Study of Mathari Hospital – Drug Rehabilitation Unit.’
- BA Drama & Theatre Studies, 1st Class Honours – Maseno University,
Minors in Communication and Media Studies.
Membership of Professional Bodies or Associations
- Member of Kenya Actors Guild
- Member of Organisation of Women in Trade
- Member of Kenya Scriptwriters Guild
- Rotary Club
Dr. Zippora Agatha Okoth is a Lecturer of film at KCA University and a French African Young Leaders Program Laurette. She is an award-winning filmmaker. She is the founder of the Lake International PanAfrican Film Festival (LIPFF). She has served as a member of the Kenya Film Policy task force, the Kenya Cultural Centre Act task force and as an Executive Committee member of the Kenya National Music and Cultural Festival under the Ministry of Sports and Heritage. She is the top Judge for the Ms President Reality TV Show on KTN HOME-Kenya and has served as a Jury in various Film and Theatre Festivals in Eastern Africa. She has been instrumental in the curriculum development of Theatre Courses in major institutions in Kenya, and also for the Talent Based Academies at the County level. She is an author, Performing Artist, Storyteller, an award-winning Director and Producer. She is an Artivist and her works focus on changing the African Narrative and with a great focus on Women Issues. She has done several a One Woman Show; Stranger in my Bed, Strange Voices, Agatha a Hopeless Romantic, Side Chick Wife, Mama’s Mirror etc. She is the Producer/Director of the Kalasha 2020 multiple Award Nominee feature Film ‘Midlife Crisis’, ‘Contract Love’ and ‘Sisters Alone’ which is showing on Maisha Magic Mnet and Showmax. She is the Director of the Award Winning short film ‘Silence’, Producer of the films; Pieces, The End and Zedi. She has also produced a documentary on the Pokot on FGM. Her passion for Creative Arts is deep and intentional in telling the African Story and changing the African Narrative.
- Creative Arts: Performing Arts, Film, Music.
- Gender and Development
- Youth and Women
Selected Publications(Books, Refereed publications & Non Refereed publications)
- 2021 The Business of Theatre In Kenya; The Artist as an Entrepreneur. (Nov. 2021), Journal of East African Theatre, Kenya International Theatre Festival Trust.
- 2020 New Voices in Africa, Cinema as Premonition, Covid-19 as Possibility, Expert Article, Institute Montaigne Journal, (Published online on October 2020), https://www.institutmontaigne.org/en/experts/zippora-okoth
- 2019 Turning Monologue into Play: A journey through self-revelatory theatre in the one woman play Diary of a Divorced Woman by Zippy Okoth, (February 2019), Enhancing Creativity for Youth Empowerment and Community Development Proceedings Journal. http://research.tukenya.ac.ke/images/abstracts/2019/tuk-creativity-conference-proceedings-03-03-19.pdf
- 2017 Potentials of Drama Therapy in Unmasking the Personae of Survivors of Female Genital Mutilation among the Kenyan Maasai, (2017), Dr. Zippora Okoth and Prof. John Mugubi, Journal of African Theatre Film and Media Discourse. https://journal.ku.ac.ke/index.php/kujat/article/view/123
Conferences & Chapters
- 2018 March – Presented a paper on Adaptation of African Mythology into theatre Musicals in the 21st Century: Revisiting the Production of Tigo the Musical, in the Mid-American Theatre Conference in Milwaukee-USA,
- 2017 Sept – Attended the African Union Convention FEPACI Conference on ‘Cinema and Audio Visual Audience as participant.
- 2017 Feb – Attended a consultative meeting on implementation of the 2003 UNESCO Convention on the Safeguarding of Intangible Cultural Heritage in Kenya organized by Ministry of Sports, Culture and the Arts held at the National Museums on 7th
- 2016 Feb – Presented a paper on “Linking Academia and Practise; The case of the Producer and Director’ organized by the Kenya International Theatre Festival held in Kenyatta University on 17th – 19th
- 2015 Dec – Winner Sanaa Theatre Awards 2015 for the play Tigo. Silk Theatres won 6 Awards namely: Best Director, Best Production, Best Musical Play. Best Tragedy, Best Actress (Sarah Masese) and Best Supporting Actor (David Mulwa).
- 2015 Dec – Attended a training on Photography and Cinematography Level Two organized by Canon Photography UK held in Kenyatta University on 7th – 8th
- 2015 Nov – Was a visiting professor at University of Cincinnati Conservatory of Music (The 3rd leading Drama School in USA) teaching movement, African dance, improvisation and Viewpoints.
- 2015 Sept – Presented a paper at the International Council of Traditional Music (ICTM) Symposium in Durban South Africa held in University of Kwa Zulu Natal, title ‘Rumba dance as Social Therapy’ on 29th – Octo 4th
- 2015 July – Attended a training on Photography and Cinematography Level One organized by Canon Photography UK at Office Park Nairobi 17th -18th
- 2014 Oct 22nd – Presented a paper at the Kenyatta University Culture Week Festival Seminar titled ‘Dramatherapy through Storymaking-telling.’
- 2014 Oct 15th – Presented a paper at the Kenyatta University Communication, Film and Media Studies, Stakeholders’ Workshop held at Kenyatta University titled ‘The Theatre Curriculum.’
- 2013 Jan 7th – Jan 11th -Participant in Leeds University and British Academy workshop in Kenya, Kitengela on ‘Use and documentation of Theatre for Development Tools for the school curriculum.’
- 2012 Nov 5th – Nov 6th – Participant in DRUSS`A and CREST (Centre for Research Evaluation Science and Technology) Workshop held in Kenyatta University on “Science Utilization and impact”
- 2012 Nov 7th – Nov 8th – Participant in DRUSSA and CREST (Centre for Research Evaluation Science and Technology) Workshop held in Kenyatta University on “Science Utilization and Impact.”
- 2012 Jan 9th – Jan 13th – Participant in Leeds University and British Academy workshop in Tanzania, Bagamoyo, “Integrating Theatre for Development into Organizations’ practicable model”
- 2011 Mar 28th-April 1st – Participant in Leeds University and British Academy workshop in Uganda, Mukhono, “Theatre and Film for development utilization in East Africa.”
- 2008 October – Attended a playwriting workshop at Kenyatta University, organized by the American Embassy, Kwani Kenya and Kenyatta University.
- 2006 August – Certified counselor on ‘Child Abuse and Trauma Management’ at TEC Institute of Management
- 2005 Oct 5th – 8th – Certified for participation in the African Cineweek script writing and Director’s Workshop by The Swedish Institute.
- 2005 June 9th – 12th – Certified on Disaster Management by Red Cross Kisumu.
- 2003 Feb 5th – 8th – Certified on Drama for Positive Change, workshop organized by Ministry of Education in Kisumu, Nyanza Province.
- 2002 Jan 15th-20th – Certified on ‘Practical and Theoretical instruction on Basic Theatre Techniques and Skills organized by Ministry of Education Mbale District.
- 2000 Sept 3rd – 9th – Certified Peer educator on “Youth, HIV/AIDS and Drugs” by Ministry of Health and UNICEF, in Homa Bay District.
- 1996 –2002 – A member of Homa-Bay Theatre group, working with the Ministry of Health Kenya (MOHK), Care International, WOFAK and AMREF, in outreaches, teaching people through drama on reproductive health, HIV/AIDS, sanitation and drugs.
Research and Consultancies
- KCAU CENTRE FOR LEARNING AND EXCELLENCE LAUNCH (CTLE)
- July 14th 2022 – Moderated a high-profile panel discussion session on ‘Effective Learner Engagement in the Digital Era’
- MS PRESIDENT REALITY TV SHOW SEASON 2
- June 2022 – November 2022 Top Judge of the Ms President reality show, in search for Kenya’s female president, on KTN HOME. Also available on You Tube as Ms President, by Media Focus on Africa.
- KALASHA FILM MARKETS
- June 10-12th 2022 Moderator of the Film Acquisitions Pitch Speed Dating at the Kalasha International Film Markets.
- ORGANISATION OF WOMEN IN TRADE (OWIT)
- November 25-26th 2021 – Master of Ceremony at the OWIT Regional Conference held at the Safari Park Hotel.
- RUSHLAKE MEDIA
- Feb 2021 – To date Consultant on Film Acquisitions and Distribution
- WOMEN IN FILM AWARDS
- January – March 2020 Chief Juror of the Women in Film Awards Kenya.
- MS PRESIDENT REALITY TV SHOW
- January 2019 – July 2019 Top Judge of the Ms President reality show, in search for Kenya’s first female president, on KTN HOME. Also available on YouTube as Ms President, by Media Focus on Africa.
- KALASHA FILM AND TV MARKET
- March 2019 – Juror for the Film and Animation Pitching categories.
- KENYA MUSIC AND CULTURAL FESTIVAL
- 2017 – 2020 – Member of the National Executive Committee for the Kenya Music and Cultural Festival under Ministry of Sports, Culture and the Arts.
- EAST AFRICA LAW SOCIETY
- DECEMBER 2018 – The Chief Master of Ceremony of the events of the East Africa Law Society 3 day conference.
- KALASHA FILM AND TV AWARDS
- 2018 – Chief Jury of the Kalasha Film and TV Awards whose Festival was dated 24th
- AFRICAN UNION CONFERENCE
- 2017 September – Was moderator of International African Ministry Leaders at a side event of the African Union Convention FEPACI Conference on ‘Cinema and Audio Visual Audience’ at the KICC Grounds.
- RIVERWOOD FILM FESTIVAL 2017
- 2016 -March 2018 – Member of the Jury in the Riverwood International Film Festival whose awards held on 11th March 2015.
- KENYA FILM POLICY TASK FORCE COMMITTEE
- September 2016 – 2018 – Member of the Kenya Film Policy team elected by the creative economy and acknowledged by the Ministry of Sports Culture and the Arts. Whose mandate was to participate in the drafting of a harmonized film policy.
- ASMO – KCA UNIVERSITY
- Jan – July 2017 Review of the KCA Certificate in Film and Theatre Arts Curriculum into a competency based curriculum, and negotiate for an MOU between ASMO and KCA University to enable the University certify the ASMO trained students on Certificate in film and theatre arts.
- KWALE COUNTY FILM & THEATRE CURRICULUM DEVELOPMENT
- February –March 2016 – Developed a film and theatre curriculum for Kwale County Youth Vocational Training to be offered to out-of-school youth in Kwale Sub counties with focus on Film and Theatre for Development.
- KENYA FILM CLASSIFICATION BOARD (KFCB)
- February 24th 2016 – Facilitated a training sponsored by KFCB to Film Examiners on ‘Process of Film Analysis and Classification’ held at Uchumi House.
- MACHAWOOD FILM FESTIVAL 2015
- Dec 2015 – Member of the Jury in the inaugural Machakos International Film Festival dubbed Machawood Film Festival whose awards were held on 12th December 2015.
- LEGACY ARTS AND FILM LAB (K) LTD
- May – August 2015 – Developed a strategic plan for Legacy Arts and Film Lab. The Lab offers periodic film and theatre mentorship workshops on film, photography, theatre arts and community development.
- KIAMBU COUNTY IKO TALENT FESTIVAL
- April 2015 – Chief Judge Kiambu iko talent Limuru and Lari Sub counties. (Items on dance, solo and choir singing, drama, poetry, rap, spoken word, special talent, DJ, Fine Art and fashion and design.)
- KENYATTA UNIVERSITY PRODUCTIONS
- September –October 2015 Scripting and Directing the KU@30 Celebrations.
- October 2013 – April 2014 Scripting and Directing the KU Theatre Musical Concert ‘Reflections of an era’ to celebrate Kenya at 50. Fusing Kenyan Music and Dance through the generations from Independence to date in a dramatic play. The play received a lot of recognition in the media and helped raise funds for the KU Foundation Scholarships.
- KIAMBU COUNTY IKO TALENT YOUTH FESTIVAL
- April 2014 – Chief Judge of Kiambu iko talent held in Ruiru & Kiambu Sub-counties. (Items on dance, solo and choir singing, drama, poetry, rap, spoken word, special talent, DJ, Fine Art and fashion and design.)
- KENYA REGIONAL DRAMA FESTIVAL-LAKE REGION
- March 19th -23rd 2013 – Adjudicating the Secondary Schools Drama Festival.
- KENYA NATIONAL DRAMA FESTIVAL WORKSHOP 2011
- (Kisumu, Kenya) – January 16th-22nd 2011 – Facilitating on Dance Choreography “Dance Beyond the Festival” to Teacher Producers in preparation for the 2011 Drama Festivals.
- MINISTRY OF YOUTH TALENT ACADEMY –
- December 2011 (Nairobi.) August 2011 (Nairobi) December 2010 (Nairobi) – Training Youth on Theatre Skills and Entrepreneurship in the Entertainment field.
- JHPIEGO – September 24th – 28th 2007, (Ofafa Jericho)
- Training youth on peer education, reproductive health, STDs and STIs, Family Planning Methods, Rape and Safe Abortion.
- PATH – August 23rd to September 9th 2007, Uganda (Jinja and Iganga)
- Training trainers on the PATHS’ SFS (Scouting for Solutions) Project, on gender, Participatory training approaches, peer education on Behaviour Change Communication and HIV/AIDS and Theatre for Children and Youth.